Friday, July 27, 2012

Vacation at Lake Gaston, VA

This week, the kids and I got an unexpected treat -- a trip to Lake Gaston, on the NC-VA border. Though we live only 77 miles away, according to my GPS, we had never ventured to the lake before. I'm such an ocean beach lover, I just couldn't imagine a lake vacation being half as fun. I was wrong!

Lake Gaston quiets as evening falls
The lake offers swimming, boating, floating, tubing, kayaking and more. The house we stayed at had a sun deck, swim deck, firepit and lots of open porch space to take in the views and the lovely lake
breezes. My kids enjoyed jumping into the lake, swimming and floating on rafts. I enjoyed relaxing in the sun and listening to their shouts and whoops, reminding me of Huck Finn.

Kids on the swim deck and adults on the sun deck. NICE vacation for all!

Ellie teaches her new friend, Peyton, how to make "tiny princess cups" from acorns

Try to find this at the ocean's edge!

We discovered the joy of lake vacations this week. A lake vacation is slower, quieter and more relaxed than trips to the ocean seem to be. Each unique home, tucked among the trees, offers privacy that just isn't available at the ocean. The scenery, squirrels racing through trees and hummingbirds buzzing, is entertaining -- it's hard to be stressed when watching them play. The kids certainly got more worn out at the lake. Jumping in and climbing out all day, without the sting of salt in their eyes, worked wonders. My daughter fell asleep the instant her head hit the pillow!

For family reunions, especially, a lake vacation seems perfect. Sun for those who love it. Shade for those who don't. Action or relaxation. Convenience. Quiet. I sure hope my friend invites me back again next year! 

If you're interested in a lake vacation, at Lake Gaston or a lake near you, check out these rental sites to find the perfect home for your vacation needs:
As always, make sure you understand exactly what you're renting.
  • Are cable and utilities included?
  • Is the rental fee comprehensive or are add-on fees for guests over a certain number, cleaning, key rental, etc.?
  • Which amenities are included (the boat looks great in the photo, but it won't be much fun if you can't use it), pool tables, board games, certain areas of the home and property? Read the fine print to avoid unpleasant surprises.
  • Does the rental fee include sheets, towels, toiletries or kitchen basics (soap, dishwasher detergent, paper towels)?
  • Talk directly with the rental agent or owner (email is fine) to firm up all the details. You may be able to negotiate a better rate!
I'm sold. While I'll always be an ocean loving girl, I certainly look forward to more vacations at Lake Gaston and other lakes in the Carolinas!

What's your favorite vacation lake? Please share!

The world is a big and beautiful place! Check out some great photos at Budget Traveler's Sandbox, where several of us are sharing our travel photos this week.

Happy travels.


13 comments:

Amanda said...

beautiful pictures, it looks like a great trip!

Family Travels on a Budget said...

It was. A surprise trip to spend time with a dear friend and her extended family. Times like these make the world just a little smaller, in that heart-warming, old fashioned way!

Karen

Mommys Juice said...

Good to know about! I actually grew up around the area as well and have never heard of it. New follower from VB!

Audra Michelle said...

LOVE lake vacations! We have gone to Presque Isle, PA yearly since, well, my MOTHER was a baby! This place looks gorgeous!

The Blissful Beet said...

Oh I love lake holidays and the house looks awesome! I so miss those times of escaping to unheard of lakes. I like that you are a wealth of off the beaten path info.

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Thanks! I've actually got a post in the wings on the exciting button museum in South Carolina! You never know who might just adore buttons enough to want to visit! :)

Unknown said...

I grew up with our family having a lake house and it is the PERFECT place to get away and relax!

Thanks for linking up this week!

maq203 said...

I'm definitely more of a lake gal--I've been going to a lake my whole life during the summer. Sounds like the perfect getaway--and so close to home!

Family Travels on a Budget said...

You know, I actually grew up on a small lake -- nothing like Lake Gaston -- and it was wonderful to run through the willow trees, jump off the dock, get pulled in an inner tube behind the row boat (no motors allowed on the lake which provided our drinking water). Maybe I enjoyed it so much because I reconnected with my early days :)

Those memories have been coming back all day.

Columba said...

Looks so relaxing! I need a lake to go jump in right now!

jenny@atasteoftravel said...

I love that I'm learning about a whole lot of new places that I've not heard of before. LKake Gaston looks very relaxing

mail4rosey said...

This is gorgeous. Water just makes a place feel vacation-y, doesn't it?? I love to take the kids to the lake.

Unknown said...

I like lakes too! That is something I could do I think...live on a lake, and even when they freeze in cold weather, they can still be fun!