When planning trips, nothing beats free admission! The 19 museums and the National Zoo of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. offer daily free admission for everyone. Most museums in my hometown, Raleigh, NC, offer free daily admission. In Paris, France the Louvre Museum, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame Cathedral and most other attractions offer free admission to children, 18 and under (and European residents 25 and under).Some museums offer free admission certain days of the week or to those with certain memberships. Among those is the "free pass to arts and culture" offered to Bank of America credit card holders. The first weekend of each month, Bank of America card holders get free admission to 150 museums, science centers, botanical gardens and more across the United States.
The Disney Visa card regularly offers discounts for Disney musicals on Broadway, currently Mary Poppins. (This "perk" expires August 19, 2012)
Discount tickets are offered through banks, power companies and other credit card companies from time to time. Some states offer free or reduced admission to residents, but you have to ask and be prepared to show a valid state ID to receive it. Before you finalize your vacation itinerary, check your wallet. It just might contain a free pass for your family to the places you want to see.
Do you know about hidden freebies? Please share!
Happy travels
I do not endorse any of the credit cards listed above.
Every source mentioned in this post is for informational purposes only.
Open new credit card accounts at your discretion, not because of this post.
9 comments:
I used to live in DC and was ALWAYS in the Smithsonian! There is so much to see! I am glad someone else has the bug to see all that it has to offer.
Would so love to visit there sometime! Where we live has Sevier County days which is a time when we can get into alot of the fun places for free like Dollywood and the Aquarium. Happens twice a year.
Great minds think alike.... today my daughter and I went to the Border Patrol Museum (free) ;) I wanted her to see what her great grandfather did in the early 40s which was his career. I love that she has so much ancestry here in town.
Carla,
Where is the Border Patrol Museum? Is it always free? Or only certain days?
Thank you for sharing. I am now inspired to locate local freebies!
Now this is new to me we are in MD, and Washington is right by me, I had no idea they offered free entrance to the museums I will have to put this on our summer to do list! Thanks
I have not been to DC yet - ever. I really want to go, but we are waiting a few more years for my little Abby to get older so we can make a family trip out of it and have all of us enjoy it. So good to know there will be a freebie or two waiting there for us when we do plan our trip. :-) But thanks for the inspiration. I'm now curious what freebies are available near Pittsburgh.
Blessings,
~Rosann
Rosann,
I'm not sure if it's free, but I sure do like the Incline -- what a beautiful view of Pittsburgh from the top. And the park -- can't remember the name -- where the three rivers come together. Pittsburgh is such an amazing city with wonderful, ethnic neighborhoods, rich university culture, and the food. Lots of delicious food. Enjoy! :)
Karen
This is a great tip, unfortunately, I don't think we have places here in the Philippines that have free admission. I could be wrong, in fact I hope I'm wrong!
Post a Comment