Friday, July 20, 2012

How to benefit from flexible travel dates

Flexible travel dates -- the prompt comes up with internet airline searches, hotel stay inquiries and when booking vacation package deals. That question: "Are your travel dates flexible?" used to annoy me. I'd think to myself, "Mr. Website, if I wanted to travel on other dates, I'd put those in instead." Then I realized something unique to the travel industry! Changing travel dates can save hundreds of dollars!

For instance, a one-way flight on August 19th costs $160. The next day, it's only $109, a savings of $51. Similarly, a hotel room in Williamsburg, VA is $79 one weekend, but the following weekend the price drops to $65. The same is true for vacation packages. Theme parks and resorts have peak travel seasons, when prices are highest. Book the week before or after peak season, and save up to 20%. Families with young children, especially, can save a bundle on a vacation if willing to travel in September, October or January to vacation destinations across the country.

When I make travel plans for our family, I now check other times to see if travel prices are any better. For instance, on our Paris trip over spring break, the original plan was to go after graduation. Summer travel to Europe is expensive -- for us, it was cost-prohibitive. Going in April, even though it was over the Easter break, we saved close to 30% on lodging and almost 20% on airfare prices. The savings for a family of five traveling for eight days really adds up.

Flexible travel dates. Whenever you see those words, remember to check your calendar and check the prices where you plan to go. Adjusting your trip -- even a day or two -- could save hundreds!

Happy travels!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this. Is there an easy way to tell when prices will drop for certain expenses?

Thank you!

Linda

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I'm so glad I read this today. My husband is working near Canada and I have to purchase some tickets for him to come home. I'll check different days so we can save. Thank you! :0)

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Linda, I'll post an answer to your question this week. Thanks for asking

Unknown said...

I have tried that from time to time and always saved money. I wish my travel could always be flexible! :)

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Elisa,
Check times of day too. Southwest had fares one day that varied by more than $100! And if there are multiple airports nearby check those. We saves more than $300/ticket once flying out of DC instead of Raleigh. That saved $1500.

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Bear with me, the computer and comments are not playing nicely! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Great tips as always Karen! My husband and I use this little trick when we plan;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice. I've never thought to be a little flexible on our travel dates. Will definitely give this a try next time we try to book a vacation.

Unknown said...

This is great travel advice. I've been wanting to travel back to Idaho to visit my mom, but it's so expensive for three or four people to get airfare. I wish I could find a cheaper way to get there. I haven't seen her in almost three years because of the cost. We tell her all the time, it would be cheaper for us to buy her one ticket to fly to visit us than for us to fly the whole family to see her, but she's terrified of flying.

Blessings,
~Rosann