Today's post comes from my friend, Heather, a huge fan of Japan! I'm here at home, helping my 18-year old son finish up his college packing. We send him off on his first adult adventure in just a few days. He may not be traveling to Japan, but for this mama, it sure feels that way!
Most days, Japan makes our headlines when there’s a peaceful
protest against nuclear energy or the hot-dog-eating guy breaks another
record. Neither is really much
incentive to travel to the opposite end of the earth (and drop several K in so
doing).
If you’re looking for horizon-broadening, mouth-watering,
and family-friendly budget travels, though, it doesn’t get much better than
Japan in 2012. Here are 5 reasons
why.
1.
Accommodations
are cheap. Although most of the
nation is going about the daily grind again, the tourism industry could use a
boost. This makes many things cheaper for travelers,
especially sleeping accommodations.
You’ll find cheaper accommodations in Tokyo now than you will in London,
Paris, or New York. Minshuku
guesthouses (the budget version of ryokan, like a bed and breakfast) can cost
3,000 yen or $37 a night, and you’ll get a feel for traditional Japanese
lifestyles and food.
2.
See the
sights for less. Many
attractions are free or have miniscule fees within walking distance from most
hotels and certainly buses and trains.
And there’s never a shortage of hospitable locals eager to show you the
hidden gems of their cities.
3.
Travel
easily and cheaply to and within Japan. Unlike America, Japan is heavily
reliant upon its public transportation, which makes traveling within the
country easier, cheaper, and more fun.
You can explore an ancient temple in the mountains in one hour and be in
a brightly lit mall full of high fashion clothes and the latest technology in
the next!
To get to Japan, be sure to check Japan Airlines (JAL) in addition to the usual American variety. In my personal experience, air travel with JAL is just as safe, often cheaper, and always more comfortable than any American airline I’ve been on. (They also have way better airplane food.)
4.
It’s the
foodie capital of the world.
Japan has 32 three-starred restaurants according to the Michelin
standard, which is 6 more than France.
Budget travelers will also find it easy to eat well on very little in
Japan. Grocery store sushi—around
700 yen for enough sushi for two—tastes better than most sushi served in
American restaurants.
5.
They’re
happy to see you. Having lived
there for many years and visited numerous times since, I can assuredly say that
the Japanese people are the friendliest and most helpful people I’ve met
anywhere in the world. The year
2011 was rough for everyone in Japan, but their compassion seems only to have
compounded after the March 2011 tragedy.
People are glad to see travelers exploring their country rather than
shunning it, as if the whole island were radioactive.
If you’re still uncomfortable, that’s okay. Try reading what the writers at Lonely Planet have to say. (The short story is: stay away from Fukushima, explore the rest to your heart’s content. There’s an ongoing dialogue on it here.)
If you’re still uncomfortable, that’s okay. Try reading what the writers at Lonely Planet have to say. (The short story is: stay away from Fukushima, explore the rest to your heart’s content. There’s an ongoing dialogue on it here.)
Happy travels, near and far!
Heather
Green is a mom, freelance writer, pet lover and the resident blogger for
OnlineNursingDegrees.org, a free informational website offering tips and advice
on the online nursing degree website
and online
physical therapy aide programs.


10 comments:
Somewhere I have always wanted to go, and the closest I've been is Japan at Epcot.
One of the things that always made me nervous was how Americans would be received, but it sounds as if the Japanese are equally welcoming to every person visiting. That's nice to hear :-)
I've always thought of Japan as a very expensive place, but that must just be real estate! I love reading travel articles from people that have actually lived in the area...they always have the best tips!
I would love to visit Japan some day! It sounds like a great time to go. And it does sound very inexpensive!
If I wasn't such a fearful flier, Japan would definitely be on my buck list. I have a friend who modeled professionally and spent months at a time in Tokyo :: she just raved about it.
Best of luck with your boy! I can't imagine how hard that must be.
There are many places I'd love to travel to one day outside of the US and Europe, but for some reason Japan never even crossed my mind! Now that you've brought it to my attention, though, I can't really think of a reason I wouldn't want to go. The mix of modern and ancient definitely intrigues me.
Japan would hold such beautiful visuals, I am sure! I like the tips, especially the public transportation one.
Susan,
I was a fearful flier too until I went to China. Something about long overseas flights made it easier for me. I get more scared traveling domestically. Strange, eh?
Karen
I have to disagree about the COST of the lodging but yes, Royko (the same as hostels in my opinion) are cheap. Nothing else is though, at least not in Tokyo. Once you step out of the city it is very cheap. I lived there and I would say it is definitely a must travel just don't plan on shopping OR eating anything above budget if you plan on coming home to your bank account. We had dinner for two for about $450!
That last photo looks so serene.
Good luck getting your som off to College! I am sure you are a mixed bag of emotions. Be strong!
I have always imagined that japan would be too expense to visit with my family. The prices you have mentioned make it cheaper than almost anywhere else we have been. I live on the west coast of America making the air travel even cheaper. Thanks!!!
Post a Comment