Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ants: More than just a picnic nuisance

 Oh my goodness.... I somehow just deleted my post and I have NO IDEA how! YIKES! Rewriting it is probably not going to happen. The Olympics are on right now!!! So, here's the "Reader's Digest Condensed Version."

On a recent trip, we parked our car under a tree to benefit from the cooling shade and to be able to find our car at the end of the day. Landmarks help, you know. Ten hours and four inches of rain later, we climbed into the car and discovered ants! On the seats, under the floormats, simply everywhere! It took four days to finally get rid of those little guys. YUCK!

At the library this past week, I parked under a tree to shade the car from the 90+ degree heat. We were only in the library half an hour. Unfortunately, that was plenty of time for a rowdy bunch of red ants to crawl into the crack of the door. Fortunately, I noticed these hitch hikers BEFORE I opened the door. Instead, my daughter and I climbed in on the passenger side (ant free) and crawled across the seats. Those guys didn't make it home with us!

I never knew that ants could get through a locked car door, but they can. In periods of heavy drought or heavy rain, they escape the weather however they can.... like cars and houses.

To avoid the ants, park at least 800 feet away from trees and mulch beds. Ants won't travel that far!

May your travels be filled with pest free fun!


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! I did NOT know this could happen! Thank you so much for this information. I will be more careful!

Unknown said...

Karen... so funny reading this post after having an ant invasion in our home yesterday! However... I never knew that they could invade your car as well! I guess I really don't have to worry about that living in El Paso, where there are hardly any trees!! Thank you for sharing!! With grace, wishing you peace and many blessings.. Carla

Family Travels on a Budget said...

I didn't know it either, until last month! We cleaned the car four days in a row to finally eliminate them. I think they hid in the dashboard! Yuck.

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Carla, my dad loves El Paso! You may not have ants, but you have lots of other critters to watch out for!

Unknown said...

Ants can be a bother, just like flies. But to think that they can do work twice as much as their own little body. And not to mention that in some Central American countries, they are protected by organizations. But they are most likely to be agitated when the weather changes.
It looks like the little one had a great time investigating the situation :)

Cheryl@OntheOldPath said...

I am not a fan of the ant! I hear this is a particularly bad year for ants! I am glad you finally got them all out of your van, I think this post has inspired me to go vacuum out our van, with 6 kiddos we have crumbs!

mail4rosey said...

I had no clue this could happen, and w/kiddos in the car, no matter how hard you try, there's always a crumb or two (or twenty on a bad day or long car trip) to find.

Thank you for the heads up.

Leigh @ OneandOneEqualsTwinFun said...

WOW I can honestly say I have never heard of ants in a car or ever imagined it! Now my life will never be the same - I will always think of you and this story when I park my car!

Im A Silly Mami said...

I've never heard of ants in the car but every spring til end of summer they are the biggest pain in my butt! They drive me nuts! This has been a horrible summer. Can't wait for the fall

Pepper Tan said...

Pesky ants! Somehow, they've also found their way to my daughter's bed! And to think we keep it clean every single day...

Thanks for the tip about parking. Oh, I can't imagine how I'd handle it if what happened to you happened to me.