| Giant Chocolate Cake, enough to feed three teenage boys! |
Having two teenage sons, each with his own hollow leg, we decided to give the Busch Gardens meal deal a try our last day trip to the park. We purchased three meal deal packages at a total cost of $80.91 (annual pass discount applied, taxes included). Had we not used the meal deal, the total cost would have been just over $103, so it seems like we saved about 22% (much less than the 40% potential savings Busch Gardens claims we "might" save). To be honest, I studied each menu and have no idea how anyone would save 40% on dining with the meal deal.
Some of the prices we found:
- Das Festhaus, plates without ribs: $9.29-10.79
- Das Festhaus, salad: $2.99
- Das Festhaus, dessert: $2.99-3.79
- Trappers Smokehouse, plates without ribs: $10.79
- Trappers Smokehouse, salad: $2.99
- Trappers Smokehouse, dessert: $2.99-3.79
- Souvenir Drink Cups, $5.99 (includes one full soda)
For some reason, each Busch Gardens meal deal must be rung up individually, which we found quite annoying. Perhaps a couple sharing a meal deal might not find it as frustrating as we did. Just be sure to share that drink, or it will have to be rung up separately!
Overall, we are disappointed with the Busch Gardens meal deal, because of the limited choices (you can choose salad over dessert, but try convincing the kids of that when the first thing they see in queue is dessert), less than stellar savings, and the long check-out time.
Busch Gardens food, though, tastes great and most items are large enough to share. They generously provides extra plates on request and free water with food purchases.
Instead of purchasing the Busch Gardens Meal Deal, I recommend:
- packing sandwiches to bring with you or eat lunch (fast food or otherwise) before you arrive at the park. We eat our sandwiches just before we park,
- purchase sandwiches, salad, and/or dessert a la carte and share food among your group at dinner time,
- enjoy funnel cake, cotton candy and/or ice cream in the evening (instead of dessert at meal time).
Using these tips, you'll save both money and time while still enjoying the delicious food offered at the park.
Happy travels!
This post updated August, 2012 to reflect current policies at Busch Gardens, VA.
Happy travels!
This post updated August, 2012 to reflect current policies at Busch Gardens, VA.
10 comments:
My youngest has severe allergies, so we always have to pack food when we go somewhere...but that chocolate cake certainly does look delicious!
I'll be writing a post soon on summer travel for those with allergies. I'm allergic to seafood and live near the beach! If you can suggest any ideas, would you please email me? Thanks!
Happy, healthy travels.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks so much for these ideas we were thinking about going to busch garden this year, but I will use these tips if we do go, and we always pack food everywhere we go.
Good to know! We're at Busch Gardens in Tampa almost every week, and I always wondered about the meal deal. I'm jealous that the Busch Gardens in VA will let you bring food in!!! Here they make you throw it away or put in in a locker. Darn!
WOW - that cake looks amazing and a zillion callories!
I can't wait for our theme park to open - they have the best fries and corn dogs!
Thanks for the tips.
Leigh
www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com
My gosh.. I REALLY love chocolate so this for me looks like the absolute choco cake!!!!
You are incorrect about Busch Garden's allowing outside food in. From their website "Hard and soft coolers, glass containers, food such as sandwiches, meals, snacks etc., and flavored drinks may not be taken into the park. Water bottles may be taken into the park."
Thank you, Anonymous, for the update. On our visit to the park in May, the bag checking staff allowed our sandwiches, stating specifically, "As long as you don't have glass bottles." The written policy is as you state, and I have updated the post accordingly.
Busch Gardens does allow baby food, not in glass jars, and food for persons with allergies, not in coolers.
Thank you for your comment.
this was really helpful. I just bought discount tickets online to the park and was debating getting the meal tickets. Based on what you've said I don't think we'd get our money's worth. Thanks!
Post a Comment