Wednesday, April 11, 2012

where do you want to go?

Yosemite National Park, California
Seems almost too silly to ask, but the first question to ask (and answer) is where to vacation.

First, what is your goal?

To focus on relaxation, a trip to the beach, mountains or small tucked away location might be best. A "foodie road trip" is best planned for a major city (New York, San Francisco, New Orleans) or specific region (the southwest, the northeast, etc). A vacation centered on history or culture would consider places like Washington, DC, New York, Paris or Rome. And of course, theme park vacations define themselves -- the question there is which theme park is best for your family (we'll cover that in another post).

Second, what is your budget?

For a family of four in the United States, a budget of $2,000 for a week rules out far away places like Paris and Rome, but we still have many options. The higher the budget, the greater the options. Knowing your budget from the outset, though, helps you plan effectively.



I'll get into each of these in more detail in future posts, but factors to consider when budgeting include:
  • method of travel (car, train, bus or plane)
  • lodging (campground, hotel, bed and breakfast, vacation home, all inclusive resort)
  • expenses at the location (metro passes, event tickets, parking, concierge, rental car)
  • food (per person per day)
  • shopping (souvenirs, antiques, etc)

Having a budget provides the framework to make decisions as you plan.

Our family likes to fly and spend as much time as possible vacationing -- not traveling. However, when the budget is smaller, we end up driving to provide more for the other categories. Knowing in advance that we only have X amount of dollars to work with helps us make the wisest choices for a great vacation.

Paris, France
Third, what time of year will you travel?

Families often travel over the holidays and during summer. Some locations have peak seasons (Mardi Gras in New Orleans, October in the eastern mountains, winter months in the Rockies, and summer at the beaches). Not surprisingly, travel is more expensive during these times. Can you travel off-season to a location and still accomplish your goal (question one)?

For instance, if your goal is to relax and reconnect as a family, you might want to consider a mountain vacation during the summer when rates are lower there. Or, if you want to travel over the holidays and aren't a huge fan of swimming in the ocean, winter rates at the beach are much lower than peak summer rates. You can still walk along the beach, enjoy marvelous sunsets and sunrises, and eat fabulous food at the restaurants the locals enjoy year round. Not only that, but with fewer tourists, there's less congestion on the roads!

Once you know the answer to these three questions, the real vacation planning can begin!

Bon voyage,
Karen

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Travelling is something I truly love. My husband took me to Italy on our honeymoon and that was WAY more romantic than the wedding. :)

I am the travel planner for the family and am always looking for budget ways to take our family of six on vacation. Know I'm going to love this new site!

Karen Dawkins said...

Italy is on my list of places to go SOON!!! Can't decide between big city vacation (Rome, etc) or more rural. Maybe I should go twice :)

Our honeymoon was NOT to any place romantic -- Gatlinburg, TN during the hillbilly festival! True story! But, it was a gift and we wouldn't have had one otherwise. SOOOO.... not complaining! :)

Anonymous said...

The first one is hard because my kid's "where do you want to go" can be very different from my husbands and mine! Once we get past that, we look for things we all would enjoying seeing and doing.

Karen Dawkins said...

Very true! We tend to decide where we will go and then allow the kids input on what we'll do there. After all, we're paying. We should get to choose where! :)

One exception is senior trip! As our kids get close to high school graduation, they are allowed to select a senior trip destination for the family. It will happen if the budget allows -- so we encourage a backup plan. We just returned from senior trip #1 to Paris, France! (Saved two years for this one.)

ReviewsSheRote said...

Wonderful tips...
we tend to visit family in Fl,IN and Kentucky.
Our DREAM family vacation would be to RV through every state--might be two or three small trips to get it done-but IT ONE vacation dream the whole family thinks would be a BLAST!!!!

Karen Dawkins said...

Pamela,
What a wonderful dream vacation! My DH and I want to follow the Cleveland Indians for a whole season and see them play in every ballpark they visit! That will have to wait until all the kids are out of the house and we are retired, but I look forward to it all the same. :)

Karen

Anonymous said...

These are great tips Karen, Our family usually goes to VA to our timeshare there, and we take day trips throughout the summer, we havent been to FL in years, so 2014we will be going there for vacation. Our dream vacation is Hawaii maybe oneday we will get there.

Becky Jane said...

Excellent new blog sweetie! I'm a homebody, so vacations for me are when I can send the kids away and have the house to CL and myself. LOL

Karen Dawkins said...

Thanks, Becky! I understand that. Days home alone are peaceful bliss. And springtime on my screen porch is a vacation of its own. :)

I appreciate the encouragement!

Courtney Pies said...

Those are definitely important things to think about when planning a vacation! I think one of the fun things about a vacation is the planning part! All the different possibilities! :)

I'm following you from the VoiceBoks M2R event!
I'm following you through RSS via email, and GFC.

I hope you have a great rest of your week!

-Courtney
optimisticmommy.com
peaceloverecipes.com

Karen Dawkins said...

Courtney, you are a woman after my own heart! I LOVE to plan a vacation! That's probably a good thing if I'm going to dedicate a whole blog to the topic :)

I look forward to hearing about your next vacation adventure!

Mommy J said...

Where DON'T I want to go? Thanks for the tips. Planning is somewhat of a weakness for me so and as we are hoping to go to Nepal (with the kids)next year, this will be a helpful reminder. Looking forward to reading more!

Karen Dawkins said...

Mommy J,
Move on to post two!!! It's step one :)
Nepal. WOW!!! How old are your kids?

Joy said...

Great points - as always! We never seem to know exactly what kind of trip we want or where we want to go. Sigh! But the dreaming of an awesome vacation is great too!

Dominique@Dominique's Desk said...

We love traveling and have been traveling around with the kids every year. I do check out where we want to go in advance and look out for bargains on flights and acomodation.

mail4rosey said...

We love to vacation! Once a year we try to go abroad, but I like to travel locally too!

Yellowstone is on my list. So is Hawaii. My big dream trip though is Angkor Wat. We want to go while we're young enough to do the exploring, but we can't do it just yet because our son is 5, which we think is way too young for handling the heat (and climbing).

This is a great post, and very helpful!

mail4rosey said...

We love to vacation! Once a year we try to go abroad, but I like to travel locally too!

Yellowstone is on my list. So is Hawaii. My big dream trip though is Angkor Wat. We want to go while we're young enough to do the exploring, but we can't do it just yet because our son is 5, which we think is way too young for handling the heat (and climbing).

This is a great post, and very helpful!

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Angkor Wat? Really? WOW! The world is so vast -- there really is something for everyone! We are planning a return trip to China so our daughter can actually experience her homeland. We want to go when she is old enough to remember and appreciate the trip, but before she's so old (teen) and busy that we have to cram it in.

Twelve seems like a great age for adventure! :)

Family Travels on a Budget said...

Angkor Wat? Really? WOW! The world is so vast -- there really is something for everyone! We are planning a return trip to China so our daughter can actually experience her homeland. We want to go when she is old enough to remember and appreciate the trip, but before she's so old (teen) and busy that we have to cram it in.

Twelve seems like a great age for adventure! :)

Leigh @ OneandOneEqualsTwinFun said...

Great tip - to go to a place off season ...like the beach in winter when it's less crowded. I am excited for our Paris/UK trip soon. Don't think we will venture far next year unless we budget for something near by.
Leigh

ReviewsSheRote said...

SOMETIMES THE PLANNING IS JUST AS MUCH FUN AS THE VACATION =)

Anne @ Green Eggs and Moms said...

I haven't been able to travel much but I will make it my goal to by next year.