Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How to get a great hotel rate

To maximize the vacation budget, I try to get the best price for the hotel room that I can. With the abundance of discount travel websites on the internet, the options can leave a weary travel planner's head spinning. There is a method to the madness, though, that I have found to work quite well. And, I must admit, I love getting a great hotel bargain. (My best so far is $50/night for a hotel room with a "rack rate" of $229/night and a "typical" rate around $150/night.)

How do you get a great hotel rate for your stay?

  • Check hotel prices at kayak.com. I like Kayak because it lists the current prices offered by several sites and the current rate the hotel offers. At a glance I know the prices at a variety of sources without having to research every one (see the blue prices listed below each hotel listing in this snapshot?). I can also see how other hotel guests rank the hotels.

  • Compare the prices at Priceline.com and Hotel.com. They don't always show up on a Kayak search.
  • Call the desired hotel to ask for their best rate. I say something like, "I'm checking hotel options in your area. <Insert name of internet company offering best price> is offering rooms with you at <insert price>. Would you be able to offer me a room at a better price if I book by phone?" Often, hotels will offer a price a few dollars below the listed price. On a weeklong vacation, those few dollars add up!
  • If you can't get a better price directly with the hotel, you can always bid on a room through Priceline.com. (I bid through Priceline to get the great rate I shared above.) I don't use bidding through Priceline when I travel with my whole family, because I have less control over things like amenities, location and age of the building. However, when I travel alone, with my husband or just one of my kids, I am quite willing to bid. 
Location, Location, Location!
  • Hotels within city limits tend to be more expensive (for the quality of lodging) than hotels outside the city. Can you expand your search to include suburbs without sacrificing the quality of your vacation?
  • View affects price. How much time will you really spend in your room? Will a parking lot view room affect your enjoyment of your room, or will you mostly be there to sleep?
What about hotel reward programs?
  • Hotel reward points do not accumulate when you price through an independent hotel discount site. If you travel often, you might do better calling the hotel for their best rate. (Ask for a manager. If the hotel isn't busy, they might just accommodate your request!)
  • If you have a hotel reward card (why not? they're free), don't forget to use the points for a free night sometime!
I am traveling with my son in June. We don't need anything special, just a place to sleep. We have appointments at 8:00 the morning after our arrival. For this trip, choosing a basic hotel (2 star) close to where we need to be is important. We won't have time for the pool or other amenities. I'll book the cheapest hotel with comfortable beds that I can find. 

Bon voyage,
Karen


12 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post! I wondered how to find the best rates, I get little overwhelmed by all the sites. Thank You for the tips :)

Becky McNeer said...

I'm always looking for the best rates! My husband travels a ton too. This will be very helpful!

Unknown said...

I always use hotels.com adn orbitz.com. I don't like when Kayak opens one too many windows

Courtney Pies said...

These are some wonderful tips! :)

-Courtney
www.optimisticmommy.com
www.peaceloverecipes.com

Cheryl@OntheOldPath said...

Great post! I am not well travelled at all and would not have the first idea of how to go about getting great rates like this. You learn something new everyday!! :)

Crazed in the Kitchen said...

Our kids are finally getting to be old enough that we are willing to attempt travel again! Thanks for some great ideas--I know they will come in handy soon.

Traveling Family said...

Crazedmom,
I agree. When I first used kayak, all the pages that opened drove me crazy. I use kayak now mostly for the information contained on the first page of the search (see the image above).

When setting your search, you can close the links before you hit the "Find " button. Then you don't get the pop-ups!

Hope that helps!
Karen

Traveling Family said...

Crazedinthekitchen,
Where does your family want to travel?
Please like our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TravelingFamily

You'll find lots of great travel discussion and support from other travelers there.

Bon voyage!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. You have great tips. We love to travel and I love staying in hotels. I will use your tips for sure. Thanks!!

http://mommie2times.blogspot.com/

susan jakovina said...

Such great tips Karen!

Courtney Pies said...

I always use Kayak.com. Great site. :)

-Courtney
www.optimisticmommy.com
www.peaceloverecipes.com

OneMommy said...

Some great tips!
I have just started looking for a place for a possible vacation - and my head was spinning after just an hour of looking at different hotels online.